Thursday, March 24, 2016

Flowing

Even though I have the best intentions to live in the here and now sometimes it doesn't work. And it happened to me yesterday.

One moment I'm enjoying a peaceful breakfast, catching up on the news, and a phone call intrudes. It's from an employee who ends up in the emergency room due to an injury. But I'm not too worried.  He's going to be alright.  Plus we have a replacement.

Then I get a message that the replacement may have to leave town. It seems a family member has taken ill. If the situation doesn't get better he'll have to catch a flight home.

So all of a sudden I've moved from focused attention on my favorite parts of the paper into crisis mode. And hardly without giving it a thought.

How will we get everything done that we were supposed to do today? Who's going to fill in?  My head starts chattering like a cage full of monkeys.

But, by day's end, it seems that everything got done on time. Everything worked out the way it was supposed to.

And that's what I teach and try to adhere to: that life is always just as it's supposed to be. A crisis, even a major one, doesn't change the world that much.

As long as I stay on the path and accept that this is just the way things are, life goes smoothly. And when I resist what's going on, things never go that well.

 So I try to flow with it, and somehow things go better.

Click here to email John