Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Being here Now

Because I was born way in last century I've seen a lot of changes.

Today we have luxuries, gadgets, toys, and prosperity that people would have only dreamed of in the forties and fifties. And today we take those things for granted.

In the midst of last century a typical home was around 1200 square feet. About half of what most of us live in today.

Almost everyone today has a cell phone - even the homeless. And our phones today, with their internet connections, give us access to more data than Bill Clinton had when he was president.

Families usually have more than one television, a magical device that didn't show up until the early fifties.

I lead with this stuff to make a point about something that hasn't changed. And what hasn't changed is that we humans have the idea that we'll be happier with more of something. A better car. Job. House. Clothing. Job. Education.

And that's the way it was back then also. And I was one of the guilty ones who thought life would be better if I just had more stuff. Money. Girlfriend. Freedom. Etc. I was no different than anyone else.

But today, being 25 years in recovery I have a different outlook. At least most of the time.

Today I realize that this moment is where I can be happy. Not tomorrow. Not in the good old days. But right now.

I decided a few years ago that I was going to enjoy the journey and stop thinking of the destination.

Does that mean we shouldn't strive to better ourselves? No. Does that mean we shouldn't anticipate our next vacation?  Of course not, that's half the pleasure in life: anticipation.

But when these thoughts keep me from enjoying this slice of time God has given me, that's not okay.

It's fun to not hurry and enjoy the scenery along the way.  And I don't want to miss any of it.