Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Embracing Wisdom

"Wisdom is merely the movement from fighting life to embracing it."  Rasheed Ogunlaru

I love this quote from Ogunlaru. Because it describes exactly what happened in my life once I got sober.

Before I got sober I never accepted life on life's terms. If life wasn't 24 hour gratification, then I wasn't satisfied. Things always had to go my way. If they didn't I was a mess.

But as I've grown in recovery I got through the illusions. The illusions that life was always going to be wonderful. That success was going to fall into my lap. That I deserved to have everything my way.

Whatever happens in life today, rather than fight it I embrace it because I know that it's not about me. Life is like the surface of the ocean. Sometimes it's placid and smooth. At others it's rough and choppy. And at times it's even stormy and nearly overwhelming.

But to develop wisdom I had to start looking at life as a series of lessons. And I had to learn to live in the moment. Because no matter how much we might dislike what's going on we only are alive at this second. Not a future fantasy that we dream up where all will be better. Nor is life dwelling in the past, sorting through the messes we created.

Embrace whatever goes on. And you'll end up on the other side with maybe an inkling of what wisdom is about.

And I believe it's about embracing a series of small experiences that teaches us what life really is.