Monday, March 7, 2016

Volunteers

The thing about the recovery business that some don't understand is that our residents are volunteers.

Oh, there are some who will say "I didn't want to come here, my parole officer forced me."

But when you ask why they don't leave and go where they want it's a different story.

"If I leave my PO will sent me back to prison."

At that point we explain that there's nothing wrong with prison. If they're unhappy, they can return to jail. I understand; I've had judges give me a choice between jail or treatment. And I'd choose jail because I was comfortable there and didn't have to change.

But the interesting thing about volunteers is that after they're here a while many want to do things their way.

Because most of them don't come from jail or prison. They come from the streets. From the police or fire department that picked them up when they were passed out somewhere. And some have been kicked off mommy's couch. They bring a resume of failures. And they bring the same issues that derailed them in the first place.  Because they're undisciplined or lazy or unmotivated they want to do what they want at our place. And they don't last long.

The ones who succeed at TLC are the grateful. Not the ones who complain about the food. Or the ones who are unhappy with the housing.

The ones who succeed have gratitude for what we offer. They're always willing to unload a truck, clean the yard, help out in the kitchen, or just talk to a newcomer. Gratitude rules their lives. They're willing to try something different because what they were doing didn't work.

A lot of our residents get caught up in war stores - which are always about who we used to be. Well, you may have been a great businessman, soldier, drug dealer, or whatever, but none of that history is important. Because your life didn't work for some reason.

These days and minutes we have right now are what's important. They may not be glorious or wonderful. They may even be boring.

But, at least we're alive and able to rebuild.  We can even create a new life story.