Friday, March 11, 2016

Meditation Benefits

Yesterday I got a message from my mindfulness instructor. He was congratulating me on passing the 300 hour course I'd been taking for the past year. In a week or so I'll receive my certificate as an instructor.

I took the course to learn more about how to meditate, the benefits of meditation, how to run a retreat and so forth. It was information I planned to use throughout our halfway house program.

But I began teaching before I passed the course. Because meditation is not as complicated as some might think. The key to meditating is practice. And one doesn't need a certificate to practice or teach it. But it does lend credibility if one can show they've had training.

And as I'd learned during several lectures, one can't fail at meditation. No one is grading how well we meditate. And that was a part of the course that I liked, the idea that I could do something without failing. With 15-20 minutes of daily practice I could only get better.

Many newcomers get frustrated with meditation because they find their minds wandering. But that's the whole point: when our minds wander we bring our focus back to our breath - if that's what we're using as a our meditation object. When we discover our mind wandering that's mindfulness.

A simple definition of mindfulness is "fully aware of present experience - with acceptance." And while the definition is simple, learning to be present can be difficult.

But it's worth it. We increase the neuronal pathways in our brain. We become calmer. Some will experience lower blood pressure. Our bodies heal faster. The benefits are many.

And in closing I suggest that you don't take my word for it. The internet is full of free resources. There are literally thousands of studies validating positive effects of meditation.  And most of the information is free.  Click here for one free resource.