Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Alcoholics are Different

At a super bowl party yesterday one of the guests accepted a rum and coke but refused a second round from the host.

"I've had enough," she said.

Of course this remark caught my attention - a statement that separates alcoholics from the rest of the world.

We alcoholics say "keep them coming.  And don't ask." One is too many and a thousand’s not enough.

Before I got sober I found social drinkers amusing. In my mind they didn’t know how to “have fun.”  They didn’t know how to party like I did. They also didn’t get into fights or go to jail for driving while intoxicated or lose their jobs over drinking. Today I admire those who can use alcohol without abusing it.

It’s interesting that at 21 plus years’ sober I still pay attention to what others drink, how much they drink, and how they behave when they drink. That tells me that lurking inside of me is the disease that consumed so much of my life until I finally found the 12-step programs that saved my life.

But if I continue to do the same things that brought me 21 years of sobriety I’ll keep enjoying the wonderful life I have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment