Thursday, February 16, 2012

Moving On


A client in group seems to have difficulty moving on with his life after receiving consequences for breaking relationship rules. He spends a lot of time beating himself up.
 
My experience is that it's counterproductive to dwell on our misdeeds. That doesn't mean we forget them.  But in the other hand we can get stuck in our recovery if we focus on the past.

And being stuck doesn’t mean we relapse. Being stuck means we don’t enjoy the blessings of sobriety. That self-esteem enhancing feeling that the world is okay right now and I’m glad I’m part of it. The idea that life’s okay right now.

If I screw something up with poor judgment or a bad decision I pay attention to my mistake and do what I can to set things right. But I don’t spend any more time than it takes to set things right and move forward.

If I’m truly living a sober life I remove my ego and bring things into perspective. I make amends where I must - then step on. 

The next time I encounter a similar situation I have an experience that lets me make the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment