Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blessings of Sobriety

Starting today, my address for the next week will be a hotel in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. When I mentioned this trip to someone at work yesterday they said “lucky you.”

I agreed. But as I walked away I realized that being able to do these kinds of things is about more than “luck.”

It has to do with working hard. It’s about surrounding myself with a team of clean and sober people who take care of business when I’m gone. It’s about the self-discipline to plan and save money to follow through with those plans.

For the past 21 years of my sobriety I’ve learned to reward myself with vacations every three to four months. And last year my wife and I were gone for nearly six weeks. It's a time to refresh, rejuvenate, and enjoy the beautiful places God has created for us.

While I’m gone I’ll be electronically connected to my office. While some don’t understand why I’d go on vacation and still check in each day, the reality is that my top priority - after my sobriety and my family – is TLC’s mission of helping alcoholics and addicts rebuild their lives.

Pursuing this mission has given me the life I enjoy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment