Monday, February 27, 2012

Terminally Unique

“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead

Because I thought I was unique I didn’t get sober until I was 51 years old. The rules that apply to everyone else didn’t apply to me. I had this attitude for years – until it almost killed me.

And after working with addicts and alcoholics for over twenty years in a recovery setting I think this is a primary issue we addicts all face before we finally get clean and sober.

While we’re different human beings in most ways, when it comes to our ability to use drugs or alcohol we’re all alike. When we put addictive substances into our bodies bad things happen. We lose family, health, finances and freedom. And we keep losing these things until we either die or get sober.

A great disappointment in my life is that my only brother never got the essence of the 12-step programs. After a meeting he once told me “I’m not like those guys.” Instead of relating to the others at the meetings, he focused upon the differences. Six months after he quit going to meetings he died of complications from drinking.

I thank God I'm done with my terminal uniqueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment