Monday, February 13, 2012

The Power of our Addiction


The death of superstar Whitney Houston again illustrates the destructive power of our disease.

While at this writing there are no autopsy reports most of us link her untimely death at 48 to her highly publicized addictions.

The real lesson is that our disease has no respect for power, fame, wealth, or talent. It’s an equal opportunity killer of the mighty - as well as the humble.

While at one time I thought I was unique and that the rules didn’t apply to me, pain eventually taught me that I’m just another addict who will have no kind of life until I can walk in sobriety.

Even though I live each day practicing 12-step principles, the death of a prominent person reminds me of the danger we face.

Today I thank God that I didn’t have unlimited resources to pursue my addictions; I wouldn’t have been here to write these words today.

No comments:

Post a Comment