Saturday, June 29, 2013

In the Blink of an Eye...

It happened in a blink yesterday afternoon.

One minute, my close friend and I were standing at the edge of a small pool of water. In the next second, before I could react, my friend accidentally slipped into the pool and sank below the surface.

I made a heroic and quick attempt at rescue, but to no avail. My friend didn't respond. The two second immersion in the toilet had killed my iPhone five. A sad, sudden, digital death.

My immediate reaction was, "Oh my God! I have so many things to do, I don't know how I'm going to survive without my phone."

Not only do I use it for calls, I also use it to take notes, I use it to read, search the Internet, play games, take pictures, and so much more. How would I survive the rest of the day? After I swirled all of these questions around in my brain I got into quick acceptance. For the moment, I was powerless.

My next clients were already scheduled. The one bit of business I had to take care of I could do by email. I could probably make it through the rest of the day.

After a while though I got a different sense of reality. All of a sudden, I had a strange peace in my life. I was no longer tethered to the larger outside world. If anyone wanted to get in touch they’d have to call my office, or get in touch with my wife or one of my business associates. Otherwise, I was pretty much incommunicado.

Even though it's unrealistic to be in the 21st century and not to be digitally connected, peace descended upon me. No sudden insistent rings that I had to pay attention to. No obsessive urge to scan email. No having to keep track of my constant companion. It was great. In spite of that nagging feeling that I was missing something very important.

All of this will be resolved by the time you read this. My wife quickly went into action and ordered a new phone-Which will be delivered sometime this morning by FedEx.

I’ll be connected again.