Thursday, June 27, 2013

On a Mission

While at the fitness center yesterday morning a businessman and I were discussing the importance of having a mission in life.

It began after I mentioned that my wife and I were going to start spending more time at the beach next year.

"So," he said, "you're going to retire?"

"Not really," I replied. "I go crazy when I'm not doing nothing. I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing now the rest of my life. Just take longer breaks."

He went on to tell me of his involvement with his business, his church, and the Boy Scouts. He said these were the things that kept his heart beating.

From a recovery perspective I think a mission in life is paramount. It doesn't matter too much what it is, as long as it's positive.

It can be attending 12-step meetings on a regular basis. Sponsoring a couple of people. Maybe fitness. Getting an education, trying to learn something new - whether in or out of school. Maybe riding your bicycle 50 miles. Perhaps becoming a better parent by becoming more involved with our children.

There doesn't have to be a template for a mission. For a mission to succeed it should come from the heart. It must be something we dream about, something that occupies our daydreams.

When we're pursuing our mission we're lost in the flow of life, kind of living like children who always seem to be totally engrossed in the moment, enjoying what they do.