Wednesday, January 14, 2015

24 years...

Today, the 14th, it will be 24 years ago that I walked into a detox in Mesa, Arizona.

It was about 10 o'clock in the morning and I was trying to escape a life of desperation.

My addiction had beaten me into a state of submission. I had no money. I was wearing everything I owned. In summary, my life was a mess.

In retrospect, the best place for an addict to start rebuilding his life is from the bottom up. That was me. I was at the bottom and willing to listen to what anyone told me.

The things they told me were simple. Take drugs and alcohol out of my life before they killed me. Go to 12-step meetings. Find a sponsor. Work on changing my life.

It took about a week or so before all this started to soak in. It took that long for my brain to clear some of the fog.

After 11 days I was discharged to a local halfway house that accepted me even though I had no money.

It was the beginning of a new life.

Click here to email John