Saturday, January 17, 2015

Nice Birthday

Warm feelings all day as the congratulations rolled in on my 24th birthday. Texts, emails and phone calls from family and friends. It was wonderful.

And all that love reminded of how rich life has become in 24 years.

Back when I first got sober 1/14/91 I had few contacts. My disappointed mother, who loved me in spite of myself. Children I didn't raise - who still loved me. A sort of girlfriend who didn't want to hear from me. That was it.

Today I have over 150 numbers in my contact list - an indication of the blessings in my life.

Besides having no one I was close to, I also had no resources. Money. Car. Insurance. Clothes. I was at the bottom in every area of my life.

But as I stayed sober things slowly changed. My circle of friends grew - 99% of them in recovery. My finances improved to the point where I was able to do more for my family and others.

I met my dream girl in 2004 and married her in 2011.

Because of my experience I heartily recommend recovery to anyone who has issues with substance abuse.