Monday, January 26, 2015

We can Help

Before writing this last night I checked my email.

Several requests for help had come in from the TLC website. I forward them to our intake desk.

One touched my heart because the writer sounded desperate. It was from a veteran in another state. He was afraid because he was about to be homeless. He wrote that he'd lost "everything"

He'd battled the demons of depression and alcoholism for years. He didn't know where to turn.

I could relate to what he said. Because that's how I - and many of our clients - got to the doors of recovery.

We had no where to go. Depression and anxiety were our only friends. Lousy ones at that.

So when I read this man's words I said "yes!" Because when we're at that state we'll do anything to stop the pain. We'll hit our knees and pray to God. We might look for a detox. Anything to get out of the mess we're in. Even if it means going to a strange state, as I did when I came to Arizona from California in 1982.

If this man travels the 1500 or so miles it'll take to get here he'll find others just like him. And he'll find courage in the idea that they once lived as he was when he asked us for help.

We'll see if he makes it here so we can help him.

Click here to email John