Thursday, September 3, 2015

Entitlement

An email yesterday reminded me of how we addicts sometimes have a sense of entitlement.

The lady's message read "So you were helped for free but you expect payment in your facility. Not everyone today has health insurance or money especially an addict and you surely know that."

I didn't understand the part about "you were helped for free..."

I'm not sure who she's talking about helping me for free. When I got sober a halfway house let me in without money. But I soon found a job and paid them for every day I was there. I'm grateful to them for giving me a start.

But the more puzzling question is how do we support someone without money? People often think the government funds us because we're non-profit. Not true.

Important causes like helping children and the elderly even have a difficult time getting funds. And there are few dollars for grown addicts who should be taking care of themselves. In fact, we don't even apply for money because I believe there are more worthy causes.

Contrary to what the writer above says, we help anyone. Whether they have money or not. Ninety-five percent of those who come to our door have nothing other than a drug or alcohol habit. But we open our doors and our hearts anyway.

We feed them. House them. Clothe them. And find them jobs. And in spite of this help, most of them don't make it. Maybe they're not done using yet. Maybe get a few meals in their stomachs and are feeling strong enough to take another run at it. In any case, we lose 25% of what we charge to those who leave without paying us.

Having said all this why do we even bother? It's simple.

I work with a lot of sober people who came to us with nothing and who today are doing great. They're helping other addicts. They volunteer. They have smiles on their faces and hearts of gratitude. They're carrying the message of recovery to others. They're making a difference.

And that's what it's about.