Saturday, September 12, 2015

Living each Moment

Fourteen years ago yesterday morning a friend called and asked had I been watching the news. I said no.

He told me to turn it on. And that's when I learned about the World Trade Center attack.

Much has - and will be - written about how this affected our country and our lives.

Most of the time I feel insulated, kind of disconnected, when things like this happen. But not in this case.

As a spin-off of this attack my youngest daughter spent three years in the military. One year was on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border- fighting terrorists. After she came home the government gave her 100% disability. But I'm happy that she came back alive and enjoys a great life today.

The memory of those who died on 9/11 stays with me. On this anniversary I'm reminded that these were just ordinary folks living their lives. Some had left their children at daycare. Others had dinner dates planned for that night. Some were going to pick up dry cleaning on the way home. But they never made it.

The message for me is that we need to live each of our moments as if they mattered. To have gratitude for our days. And to spend our time being kind and helpful to one another.

Click here to email John