Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Half Measures

"Half measures availed us nothing." from the Big Book.

When I was out there over 25 years ago shooting heroin - and drinking everything in sight - I didn't do it halfway. It was only when I was in the slammer that I was able to slow down or stop.

I was so powerless that once I started I couldn't stop on my own. I didn't even pretend to try.

This comes up for me because it seems like lately we've had many clients and residents who can't make up their minds. Do I want to get sober and clean? Or do I want to get high?

We have applicants who tell us they want to change. That life on the streets is kicking their asses. So we let them in and a week later they fail a urinalysis or a breathalyzer test. And we end up discharging them.

I have no problem with people relapsing. The literature tells us that it's a way to find out if we really have a problem. But I'd think that after five or six relapses one could figure out that something's not working.

And maybe they have a higher tolerance for pain than I did. Because once I got through with detoxing and started to get my life back together I never looked back.

Even though I had fun at first, there's nothing about that life that's attractive to me today.

Click here to email John