Thursday, July 7, 2011

No Good Excuse

Even though I’m powerless over other addicts and alcoholics, it's still disappointing when a close family member is back in the grips of addiction. This weekend, while on vacation in California, I talked to a close family member about his use of drugs and alcohol. I probably wouldn't have had this conversation with him except he's been in jail more than once because of his addiction. And on occasions, he has lost everything because he couldn't quit using.

I anticipated it was futile to talk to him, but I still carried the message. But during my conversation with him, each time I’d suggest what he might do about his drinking or drugging, he’d change the subject. He’d immediately begin talking about somebody he’s pissed off at, such as his wife or a business associate. I know his purpose in pursuing this reasoning was he might think I’d accept his drinking and drugging.

But the problem with using this tactic with me is I've been there. When in the grips of my disease, I had many really sad reasons why I used. I was an abused child. The police were always after me. My girlfriend didn't understand me. My boss was a jerk. These terrible events would help you would understand why I drank and used heroin. And, of course, there were some who commiserated with me and felt sorry for me. They could see the kind of pain I was in and why I used.

There are no good reasons to use, just excuses.

1 comment: