Sunday, July 3, 2011

Vacation Time

July 3, 2011
Yesterday I started a two week vacation in California, a cool respite from the blistering summer heat of Arizona in July. Two weeks is a while to be away from the office but I have wonderful staff members who mostly run TLC anyway – even when I’m there. Plus, most of my time is spent on financial, legal and insurance issues rather than day-to-day operations. And technology being what it is I remotely access my office computer no matter where I’m at – even out of the country.

A couple of people told me how lucky I am to be able to afford time away and they’re right. But it has to do with more than luck. Because I’m sober for twenty years I'm able to enjoy time at the beach visiting children and grandchildren. I feel lucky, yes, but I’ve worked hard to be where I’m at right now.

From another perspective, I feel “lucky” that God put the right circumstances and people in my life to help me into recovery. Many of my peers didn’t live through their addictions. Or else they committed such serious crimes pursuing drugs they may never walk in freedom again. When I view my life like this I know that heaven smiled upon me more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment