Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Art of Living

"...my art is living" Michel Montaigne, 15th century French writer.

I read this saying today and it brought to mind what we learn in the 12 step programs. As we gain time and experience living sober we begin to realize that it's no longer about resisting the urge to drink or drug. Because when we're working a program and following the steps we're learning to live in harmony with the world.

We come to realize that one reason we put substances in our body is we couldn't face the world without a dose of chemical courage to shield us from the pain of living. But as we walk the road of happy destiny life takes on a different tone.

We come to understand pain and disappointment is an inevitable part of the process. We begin to realize that when we ruled the world we ended up losing family, friends, businesses, health and sometimes our freedom. As we mature we accept life's ups and downs with equanimity and we learn to savor life's challenges. We flow with the universe.

Let me make the art of living my goal today.

1 comment:

  1. I am learning. I am thankful and grateful today.

    ReplyDelete