Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Power of Our Disease

Last night, as I was leaving our Phoenix facility, I encountered a client who'd returned after being away for over six months. He said he'd almost died this last time out. His alcohol level was over 6.0 and he had to be airlifted from Kingman to Phoenix for treatment. He called us from the hospital when he awoke because he had nothing to wear. The medical staff had cut off his clothing to treat him.

This man is a living example of the power of our disease. He’s a talented, well-spoken individual who spent years in the corporate world before alcohol finally whipped him. During his previous stays with us he was a willing and responsible employee. But somewhere in the back of his mind he thought he could successfully drink and left one day to prove it. That decision nearly killed him.

As we talked he seemed beat down and professed a desire to really do the program. As I drove home I had a sense of gratitude for my sobriety. I said a prayer for him as i drove home, a prayer that he would finally realize he was powerless.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Some of us need to be reminded also. I am grateful and thankful today. Today I am glad to be alive.

    ReplyDelete