Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Surrendering

Surrender was the topic of the 12 step meeting today and several people discussed the concept.

One man, who’d been to prison six times because of his drug offenses, professed he's still having trouble with the idea of surrendering anything. He hated the idea of anyone telling him what to do. He thought if he could get his ego out of the way he might have a chance.

Another man talked of the profound changes in his life in the 20 years since he admitted he was powerless over nearly everything. He finally gave up the idea he could somehow use like normal people. He’d tried very possible way to use, all of those mentioned in the book. But none worked; he always ended up losing everything - sometimes even his freedom. Once he realized it was impossible to master his addiction everything changed for him and God was able to work in his life.
`
Today he has his family back, a thriving business, and is enjoying his sobriety.

2 comments:

  1. I felt that way too. After all who likes the thought of surrendering to anything. Today if I want to live clean and if I want to live. I have to surrender. I realize today everyday that I get to wake up I have to One admit, two believe , three Decide on if I want to work on my recovery or do I want to work on getting high. I think sometimes I wish I could get my family and things back but the truth is I wont get them back however I am getting myself and myself respect back. I am grateful and thankful because I could not have be able to do it without the program and TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the only thing we get back is our self-respect. And that's a wonderful place to start.

    ReplyDelete