Monday, July 4, 2011

Gratitude for Freedom

On this 4th of July I’m grateful to live in a country where we enjoy freedoms that sometimes aren’t enjoyed in other lands. This came home for me while I was riding a cab to the airport. The driver, from Somalia - a cultured man who spoke five languages – told of the warfare and violence that brought him to the United States five years ago.

He related how several family members were killed by random artillery fire or else while fighting rebels. He expressed gratitude to be living in a county where he didn’t have that kind of daily struggle to survive.

Since this conversation I realize how blessed all of us are to live in a land of freedom. For those of us in recovery we are also free of the habits that limited our freedom and our health.

Today I’ll remember to be grateful for the freedom to make choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment