Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Continue?

I've been publishing this blog for almost a year now, nearly 350 days. My commitment was to write something each day for a year, a goal that's in sight in another two weeks. But the question I'm asking now is what next?

At this juncture I'm not sure. Writing each day is a good exercise, it forces me to come up with something each day, even when I'm feeling uncreative.

But I guess the question is "what's the point?" The theme has always been to focus on recovery or to view the topic from a recovery perspective. And I've been able to do that even though at times the connection might be a little abstract. In any event I must decide if I’m to continue writing each day or if I should revert to a once or twice a week format. I’m open to any ideas from those who read this.

I guess one of the perspectives I have is has this blog helped one person get sober? Or has it helped bolster one person’s sobriety? If it has, then the year of writing has been worth it. If I’ve been able to change one person’s point of view then it’s been worth it.

I’m open to ideas.

4 comments:

  1. My sister-in-law has been at your facility in AZ a little over 80 days...

    Dropping her off at the Greyhound Bus Station was one of the most difficult things I've had to do in my life - but, at the same time a pounding in my heart, knowing that we (her brother and I) were doing the "right" thing...

    I have a feeling of joy for her as she takes the required/necessary steps toward our wish for her – and of course her wants and need for a clean, sober lifestyle.

    As for your blog, it was one of the first life lines that I found to some how feel connected to her during her journey - I enjoy and look forward to getting your blog, daily.

    Our wish for her is a clean, sober, healthy life - she deserves it - but we also know that she MUST be willing to work hard every day for the rest of her life... that no one person can control her wants (unless she allows) and most importantly her NEEDS other than her...

    We can wish for other people only so much - until they realize (when and if) that they have to WANT whatever it may be and make the CHOICE - and being willing to take the steps (no matter how small) EVERY day toward a clean, sober, healthy lifestyle for themselves...

    Thank you for your blog - I feel very blessed after each days reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Schwary,

    I have read your blog just about every day. It gives me hope. Just this past weekend my son entered one of your facilities for the second time. Knowing what TLC is all about and about the values of the people who own and operate the organization give me hope. Your blog also helps me to know what I should do and reinforces what I should NOT do in regards to my son's addiction. I don't know if your blog has helped anyone choose sobriety or not but I know your blog is a lifeline for me and helps me to not be afraid to have hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for the Prison Transition Service at Along Side Ministry helping ex-offender who are just reentering society. A part of my job is to help them with housing and TLC has always welcomed them with open arms. Those who truly want help find it....
    I hope you'll continue to write the blog. I read it daily. I look forward to your input and knowledge.
    John, we have never met....but I'd like you to know I am a long time resident of T.L.C and I'm grateful to have found the program.
    Please continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the comments. Knowing one person benefits is a great reward. I'm so inspired that I've made notes for the next three blogs!

    ReplyDelete