Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Gratitude

Thanksgiving is about gratitude. And gratitude is the road most of us in recovery travel on a daily basis.

Gratitude is a regular topic at 12-step meetings. And it’s the first thing to go before we relapse. Because having gratitude is incompatible with relapse – we lose it to pave the way to pick up again.

As I go through this day I reflect on the many things for which I’m grateful.
  • I’m happily married to a lovely woman. 
  • My children are healthy and stay in touch.
  • I have close friends to help – and who help me. 
  • At 73 I’m blessed with health that allows me to work in multiple business operations. 
  • Our employees and volunteers are gifts from God – without them none of what we do at TLC would be possible.
My gratitude is to all those who help create this dream life that I enjoy.