Thursday, November 1, 2012

Changes


When I mentioned to a client that we'd be holding groups in another section of the building she had a visible reaction.

When I asked what was going on, she replied "it's just that I hate changes."

Her response, I think, is a pretty normal reaction among us humans – whether we're addicts or not.

When I get into a comfort zone and the world intervenes for whatever reason, I hate to change. And it always happens at an inconvenient time. Yet the recovery process encompasses continual change for it to be successful.

I read or heard somewhere that the only thing I can count on in life is change. That things will be different in the next hour. Or different tomorrow. Different next year. I was also told that if I grasp this concept and incorporate into my being that I won't be surprised when change occurs..

Because I like order and discipline, I've had to change my thinking about interruptions and the small emergencies that occur when working with recovering addicts.

Rarely a day goes by that someone doesn't have a medical appointment, needs a ride to the pharmacy, or has a sudden issue that must be dealt with immediately. To have equanimity and serenity I go to the office with an expectation that there'll be interruptions.

Change just occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment