Friday, November 2, 2012

Nice Surprise


I had a pleasant surprise one evening this week while delivering a client - who was having an emotional meltdown - to a psychiatric facility.

After turning the client over to an attendant, I was on the way out the door when a woman called my name. When I turned around, there was a former client who'd worked in our office about a year ago.

            "I have a year sober now," she said proudly, shaking my hand. "And I have this great job helping other people."

She had a smile on her face, and radiated joy, as she shared her success with me. It was one of those moments, at the end of a long day, that was so rewarding.

She's another example of what we do it TLC. This woman came to us after serving a prison term for drug offenses. She had three children for whom she was responsible. She was still on parole. She'd never been able to successfully put together a period of sobriety. And while she gave us credit for helping her, the reality is that she took advantage of the structure we offer and made the changes herself.

The best payoff is when we see someone in action, someone living a sober life.

No comments:

Post a Comment