Saturday, November 1, 2014

Doing Great

By chance I run into an addict I've known for some time.

I'd heard tht he'd relapsed a while back.  That he'd begun using again.  But I still wasn't prepared to see him like this.

The last time I saw him, in early summer, he had a job, a car, and a place to live.  At that time he went to meetings, was into fitness, and was upbeat about everythng.

The change was shocking.  He was downcast and wouldn't look me in the eyes.  His shoes were raggedy and his clothes looked as though he'd been sleeping in them for a while. He had an odor of old sweat about him.

When I inquired about how he'd been he said he was doing "great."  The same answer I used to give when my life was in shambles and I didn't know where to get my next fix or drink.

Before we parted I offered to take him to detox, to help him get on his feet.  He declined, saying he'd be okay.

He did accept the little bit of money I gave him.  Then he walked away as if he had somewhere to be.

I went about my day, grateful for my recovery.

Click here to email John