Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Living with Peace

"Every day brings a choice: to practice stress or to practice peace." Joan Borysenko

It's important for us to choose whether we'll have stress - or peace - each day.

In my case, I choose peace. And here's how I get there.

I don't use an alarm clock to awaken. Usually around 4:00 am I'm pretty much rested so I awake. If I'm not ready to get up I may drift off for another half hour or so. But usually at 4:00 I'm awake.

Next is 30 minutes of mindfulness meditation. After that I'm in my home gym for an hour. The routine always includes a half hour to an hour of yoga. Four days a week I mix in a half hour of weights or elliptical or swimming.

Then it's a mostly raw vegan breakfast.

This morning routine gets my day started in a low stress mode.

At my office I do one thing at a time. I don't believe in multi-tasking. We can only focus on one thing at time; it's either this or it's that.  I don't hurry.

If paperwork is interrupted by a client or staff member, I re-focus my attention because people are more important than paperwork. I usually must take a few deep breaths to help me switch modes and change my thinking.

Sometimes my mind wanders back to the paperwork. But I tell myself it'll wait and then focus on the person in front of me.

Doing one thing at a time keeps me in peace.

I never argue with anyone about anything because I don't like the stress. Instead of arguing, I ask for clarification. Most differences get resolved that way. And I stay in peace.

There are other things I do to be peaceful.

But they all involve taking care of myself.  Part of that is to not hurry.  To stay in the moment. Not eating junk.  Not drinking sodas or caffeine.

My suggestion - if you're interested in having peace - is to structure your own daily routine to minimize your stress.

Experiment until you get it right. Then don't let the expectations of others change it.

It's a practice that'll bring you many benefits.

Click here to email John