Monday, November 24, 2014

Adding to our Recovery

The 12-step programs tell us to cease fighting - and that means anyone or anything.

I'm reminded of this today when a man at a meeting tells of his encounter with a rude driver in a parking lot.

He became angry when the driver beat him to a parking spot.

While he immediately found another space, he had thoughts of kicking the guy's ass.

But on later reflection he realized his anger served no purpose. It just left him upset.

As we grow in recovery we learn new ways of thinking. We learn to relate to others without anger. Without upsetting ourselves because people don't do what we want them to do.

When we first come into the rooms - and I was one of those people - we think everything’s about us. It's me me me and my my my. It's all about us and we know everything will be okay if the world would just do what I need them to do.

But after we stick around a while we realize we're just another speck on the planet. That there are 8 billion or so other people who are as important as we are.

As we move on in recovery we become kinder and more understanding of others. Instead of pushing them aside or getting angry, we show compassion.

As we give them compassion we add to the spiritual dimension to our recovery.

Click here to email John