Thursday, November 27, 2014

Being Thankful

Last night I left the hospital with an overwhelming sense of gratitude.

My wife and I had just visited the neonatal ICU where we met for the first time my six-hour old grandson, Wyatt. Even though he was born prematurely, he was already breathing on his own.

His mother, my youngest daughter, is doing well after a problematic pregnancy that kept her in the hospital for nine weeks.

As I welcome this newest member of our family I know I wouldn't have witnessed this birth had I not gotten sober nearly 24 years ago. In fact, had I not gotten sober I wouldn't be here today period.

I think that all of us who have been removed from the despair of our addiction can look around our lives and find much to be grateful for.

You may have additions to your family. You may have found a great job. Perhaps your health is returning. Maybe you're getting into a level of acceptance that's making your life much more enjoyable.

What ever it is, on this day of Thanksgiving appreciate the many blessings you have in your life.

As for me, I'm especially grateful to have a healthy daughter and a new grandson.

Click here to email John