Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Enemy

I once in a while get sad reminders of how we're our own worst enemies. How we let anger and arrogance destroy our lives.

A person I was once friends with years ago had everything. A good marriage. Active in recovery. An advanced degree. A professional license. A beautiful home. A child in college. All the things that some aspire to, that many in this country dream of achieving.

Yet something shifted. Things changed for her. Issues from her past, maybe residual anger, maybe abuse, took control. And her life began to unravel.

She began mistreating family members and co-workers with verbal abuse, criticism, and emotional outbursts. She couldn't pay people enough to work for her. She alienated everyone in her life.

She finally lost her her marriage, her home, and her professional licensing

And when I learned of this recently a sense of sadness came over me because life is hard enough without us working against ourselves.

When I heard of her circumstances I felt only compassion because I know she has the potential to be someone different.

Click here to email John