Saturday, November 8, 2014

Perspective

"Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses."  Proverb

Life is a matter of perspective. We can look at our challenges. Or, we can pay attention to our blessings.

If we're having a bad day we can turn it into a good day using simple techniques.

Stop comparing ourselves to others. This is a futile practice because someone always has more - or less - than we do. They're either richer or poorer, smarter or dumber, stronger or weaker. We're rarely exactly on par with anyone.

Develop a sense of gratitude. There's a multitude of reasons for gratitude. I have my marriage. My health. My job. Friends. My children. A home. Loving family members who care about me. Look around your life and make your own list. You might surprise yourself at how long it is.

Do something for someone else. Mail a check to a charity. Hand money to a homeless person and don't worry if he'll spend it on alcohol or drugs. Volunteer at a hospice or soup kitchen. Give someone a ride. The simple act of giving makes us feel better.

These are techniques that have worked for me over the years.  Be creative and figure out your own ways to change your perspective. 

 Your life will be richer for it.

Click here to email John