Friday, June 17, 2016

Ask for Help

One thing I believe about human nature is that people like to be helpful.

So one of the things I never do around TLC is tell anyone what to do. You might ask why not? Why shouldn't I tell them what to do? After all, I started this program about 25 years ago. And I'm the guy who signs the paychecks.

But the real thing about telling employees what to do is that we never get as much done. My practice is to ask for their help. Because isn't that what I really want? Help with running the company? Help with a project?

Another thing I believe is that most people feel better when they know they have the ability to be helpful. It helps them feel more competent and more part of the company when they think they're helping run things. Which they are.

The one thing I've noticed about managers who order their employees around and demand their help is that their job becomes much more difficult.

Because I have a lazy side I'd much rather ask for help than to create a resentment in an employee who'll do a better job if she/he knows they're recognized and appreciated.

I suggest to our managers that they use this practice if they want to be more effective at their jobs.
And some of them actually do it.