Friday, June 24, 2016

Mindfulness vs. Technology

Computers have been a part of my life since the early 1980s.

And because of that I consider myself relatively competent in their use.

I can operate all kinds of office programs and know how to connect to my office computer remotely. Really not a great accomplishment is these days of technology. But to let you know that I know my way around a little bit in the technology world.

But this week I ran into a problem that I couldn't solve. At least not by following the instructions from Go To My PC, which provides my remote service. Someone, it seems, had hacked into their system.  And they forced everyone to change their passwords. Again, normally not a big deal - but I couldn't get mine to connect after multiple tries over four days.

But I practiced mindfulness all week, trying to connect to my office. But in spite of carefully following their instructions - no luck. I was very aware of my edginess about the problem and practiced deep breathing when I started feeling too impatient. Things like this would have one time gotten me high but just rolled off me.

But in spite of everything they suggested, nothing worked. Then I remembered that I had once used another company that provided a similar service. So I decided to cancel my problem service and go with them.

And wouldn't you know it? I was immediately able to resolve the problem after telling them to cancel my account. That I'd decided to go back to my old service that I had seven years ago.. One which never caused me trouble.

Their effciency in resolving my issues was amazing.

Click here to email John