Thursday, June 30, 2016

Half Over

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot."  Michael Altshuler

I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized that half the year had passed. It seemed like a minute ago it was New Year's Day. Now half the year is over. So what did we do with our time?

I know what I did. I completed my certification as a Mindfulness instructor. My wife and I took a couple of trips. We purchased two investment properties. In other words we made some kind of progress by taking regular action.

I know people who live with ideas for years before acting on them. And others never act on them.

For example I was eating with some folks I hadn't visited in a while. And they were discussing the same old subject: they wanted to lose weight. But while they were having the discussion it was over a table of rich food. And dessert came at the end.

What the saying above means is that you're in charge of what you do with your time. You are the pilot. But if you have ever observed a pilot in action you know that they are highly disciplined. Because one error could end everything. Not only for them, but for everyone on the aircraft.

Taking control of our time requires discipline - but that's also how we get to our destination.