Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Reality

One way for me to stay emotionally even is to not take things personally.

In years past I used to think the only way to do things is the way I wanted them done. And If they didn't happen the way I wanted, then my universe was off balance. I'd immediately set it back in balance with a few drinks. Or with some drugs or combination of drugs. Then things were okay until the next morning.

As life moves forward I realize that nothing stays the same - ever. Each day is different. Each moment is different. Each second. People change. I change. And there's not much I can do about it. I have enough trouble trying to control my own life. Let alone trying to control someone else's.

My rule in life is to do no harm. But sometimes I harm them anyway because I see life different from them and they might not like it. At one time I would let myself get depressed over it.

But today I look at it as part of the unfolding of life. The people I see who get into the most trouble are those who think that life is always going to be perfect. That there are no bumps in the road.

But that's not reality.