Sunday, October 2, 2016

Gratitude Works

If we get out of bed in the morning and don't look forward to our day we need to change how we get up.

Since I'm a retired shoplifter, this is not an original idea. I stole it from a motivational talk I was listening to while working out the other morning. But it does work. And it goes like this.

When you first open your eyes in the morning think of three things you’re grateful for. It doesn't have to be anything big. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic.

For example, most of the people in the world - about three quarters of them - live on less than three dollars a day. The idea that I don't live in that part of the world brings me into gratitude right away.

I wear braces and have the hassle of putting them on every morning. But this is a path to gratitude. At least I have still have legs and can afford to buy braces to support them.

There are a myriad of things we can be grateful for. Our relationships. Our jobs. Our homes. Our freedom.

If we look at the world in this positive way when we first awaken it does something to our chemistry. And it brings our ego into check.  Our day goes more smoothly.

If we look for the blessings in life we'll find more of them. And if we look for the negative, we'll find that also.

Try it.