Friday, October 14, 2016

Anger

A long time ago I used to get angry about most everything that didn't go my way.

If someone cut me off in traffic, I'd want to get even and do the same to them.

If I had to wait in line too long at a store I'd leave my basket and simply walk out - leaving it there for someone else to deal with.

Sometimes if someone looked at me sideways I'd get angry.

And my anger turned into a fertile breeding ground for resentment that I couldn't identify. That's how much of it there was stored inside me.

But one day - not long after I got sober 26 years ago - I realized that when I got angry I just had to get over it. And the sooner the better.

Today when things don't go my way I still might get angry - but I'm much quicker to let it go. It's not good for my blood pressure. It's not good for my attitude. Angry is not who I am today.

The bad thing about getting angry for me is that I just have to get happy again. So why not stay in a good mood and not take the detour into anger and all it's bad side effects?