Thursday, October 13, 2016

Power of Belief

Prior to 1954 it was believed impossible for a human to run a mile in less than four minutes.  It was supposed to be beyond the limits of human physiology.
Yet in May of 1954 Roger Bannister of England did it.  In 59.4 seconds.  
But a lesser known fact is that within two years afterward 37 others also ran sub-four minute miles. Today high school athletes routinely run sub-four minute miles.
So what happened?  Did athletes become better within two years? Or even 75 years? No.
What happened is that beliefs changed. Athletes saw what was possible and made the breakthrough. 
I bring this up because a lot of alcoholics and addicts don't believe they can stay sober because they never have.  Yet if they look around the recovery rooms there are many who have been sober for years. 
The secret of accomplishing anything is we first must believe we can do it.  Then we can.
I got sober because somewhere deep inside I knew the program worked.  But I didn’t want to believe it because I still wanted to shoot heroin and drink.
The reality that came to the surface for me is that I knew that millions of others had changed their lives and that I could do it too.
I’d seen it work for others and I knew it could work for me too.  It's about believing we can do it.

Click here to email John