Saturday, October 1, 2016

Family Rejection

Addicts are sometimes dismayed when the world doesn't welcome them back with open arms once they get sober. And maybe have a parade or at least a party..

I recently heard of a mother and grandmother who is quite unhappy because her children want little to do with her. And she's been sober for nearly a year now.

When she sees her family in social situations they barely speak to her. Some ignore her completely.

Those in the program, who support her recovery, have told her that things will change in time. And I  believe they will.

I remember 26 years ago when I first got sober I thought it was a pretty big deal. And it was – for me.

But my grandparents and other relatives were not nearly as impressed. They had seen me for years go in and out of sobriety. They knew of my trips to jails and hospitals. As far as they were concerned it was just a matter of time before I'd be back at the bar or the dope house.

I think they were more surprised when they saw me stay sober two, then three, then four years.

And by the time I was sober for five years they all had pretty much accepted me back into their lives. Even though I've never stolen from my family I'm sure they were embarrassed to even be related to me. I think they were afraid that I would contaminate younger family members.

But after I had five years clean I was welcome to go anywhere. Everyone I knew began to trust my recovery.

If people don’t believe in my sobriety I understand and accept. I have a lot more things to do with my life than to occupy my head space about it. Whatever their opinion of me, I can respect it.

Because I’m living in the moment.