Sunday, October 23, 2016

Amends

The best time to make amends is immediately. And that's because the more time that passes, the more difficult it is to say I'm sorry.

When I offend someone I apologize on the spot. Because if I don't, then I'm carrying a mess around in my head that doesn't belong there. It's unnecessary friction that takes up way too much headspace.

I remember two aunts of mine who for ten years during their seventies and eighties refused to speak to one another. And the sad part was that they lived in a town of about 25,000 people within a few miles of one another. I forget what they were angry about. That's how big of a deal it was. I'm not sure they remembered either. One of them finally passed away without either of them making amends.

Life presents us with enough issues without us carrying extra baggage in our heads. Not only that, anger and resentment can affect our health by creating stress and tension that we don't need.

The 12 step programs teach us how to deal with resentment by suggesting we pray for the other person. And while this may run counter to our nature, it costs us nothing more than a few moments of our day to try it.

Isn't our mental and spiritual health worth a few moments?