Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Deadly Addiction


In Las Vegas last week I ran into a former client I hadn’t seen in a few years.  When I asked how he was he told me he’d had a second heart attack and his doctor told him he’d no longer be able to hold a regular job. So he decided to come back to TLC where he’d be able to live on his disability check.

And he added that he’d also been diagnosed with emphysema.

Because I’d noticed him smoking earlier I asked him what he was going to do about quitting, particularly in light of his health issues.  But I guess I asked the wrong question because he immediately came up with a reason for not quitting.

                “Emphysema’s not reversible,” he said, offering that as a reason to not quit. I didn’t point out to him that while it might not be reversible, it could get worse.

Because I too was a smoker until 9:00 am July 25, 1984, I understand the power of the addiction. It killed several close family members, all of whom suffered a lot before dying.

I had withdrawn from heroin many times. Yet quitting cigarettes was much more difficult.

But in spite of the difficulty it's imperative to rid ourselves of this deadly habit. Although I went through some pain at first, it was the best thing I ever did. All of a sudden everything smelled and tasted better. I had more energy. I required less sleep. I had more time because I didn't have to go outside ten times a day to smoke.

I'm not sure what it is about addicts and alcoholic – maybe it's part of our disease. Statistics show that 80% of recovering people smoke, versus 20% of the general population.  And I believe this, because outside the 12 step meetings we often must pass through a cloud of smoke to get inside.

It may sound like pontificating because I haven't smoked for 28 years. But I don't care. I’m happy if I can help one person kick this deadly habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment