Sunday, May 20, 2012

Road to Recovery


A few weeks ago a man called me from a Southern state to ask about coming to TLC. He hadn’t drunk for a few weeks, but he knew he needed time in a sober setting if he was going to remain sober.

After I told him about the program he said he’d wrap up his affairs and be in Arizona by the end of the month.  And sure enough, he called me from the Greyhound bus this evening to tell me he’d be in Mesa on Monday morning.

He also told me that if had money with him he would have gotten drunk already because he’d had a painful argument with his wife before he left for the bus station. He was upset about the altercation to the point that he almost changed his mind about coming. However, he said that his desire to remain sober was still in place and he was determined to get to Arizona to try to change his life.  We’ll find out next week how strong his resolve really is.

His situation illustrates some of the pitfalls confronting those in early recovery. So often family issues, finances, and other stressors will offer what seems to be a good excuse to kill the pain with our drug of choice.

I'm thankful I avoided these excuses and have been blessed with long term sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment