Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hangover, but no Fun


Talking with a friend today with over 35 years sobriety who told me of a drinking dream he’d had the night before.

                “The bad thing about it,” he lamented. “Is that all I remember is the hangover. I don’t remember having any fun.”

He couldn’t remember the last time he’d had such a dream. And he thought the dream might've come from a story he heard at a meeting he’d attended earlier in the day.

A man there said he'd relapsed after ten years of sobriety – several months after he quit going to meetings. 

The man’s story reminded my friend that we must be vigilant about our sobriety. That if we don’t do the things that have kept us sober we become vulnerable to relapse.

The conversation with him brought to mind the many times I’ve been asked how long I have to go to meetings. And my answer is always “as long as I want to stay in touch with my sobriety."

I'm aware that sobriety is the center of my existence. Without it, everything disappears.

No comments:

Post a Comment