Wednesday, September 5, 2012

RIP Richard

“I’m going to drink like a gentlemen,” Richard told us as he left TLC about ten years ago.

When he qualified for a monthly Social Security check he decided to spend his later years doing exactly what he wanted – drinking.

Because he lived in an apartment near our corporate offices we saw him most every day.  In the mornings he’d spend an hour or so sitting on a bench in front of the Inconvenience Store. He’d smoke cigarettes and visit with friends from TLC.  Propped nearby would be his bicycle.

For a few years after leaving, he peddled cheap watches to our clients to supplement his income. But eventually he gave that up.

I spoke to him often in passing. And once in a while he brought up his drinking. I think he thought I didn’t approve and he wanted to let me know it was working.  But it was none of my business.  If he’d wanted to stop, then it would have been my business.

The last time he brought it up he said his routine was to start on a half pint around one o’clock. He’d finish it about five, eat something, and then sleep for the night.

Once in a while - when he talked a lot about drinking - I’d think maybe he was asking for help.  Then I’d let him know our door was open if he wanted to take another run at living sober. But he wasn’t interested.  And I don’t try to convince anyone to get sober. I think life lets us know when something’s not working.

And in his case it seemed to somehow work until the end. Rest in peace, Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment