Friday, May 8, 2015

A good Life

When I awake this morning it's with a feeling of wonder about how good life is.

I feel gratitude for my recovery. Happy to be living the promises of the 12-steps.

Then it's a mindfulness body scan for 20 minutes. Afterward a stint of slow yoga. No hurry about anything for the first hour. Just quieting my thoughts.  Breathing in the day.

Around 6:00 a.m. the dogs change the mood when they come to get me. Even though I have the door closed I hear them sniffing. They know I'm awake. They know my routine. I decide to feed them because if I don't they'll keep fussing.

As I go downstairs with them they're jumping and barking with anticipation. They act like the food is gourmet, even though it's the same canned stuff they've eaten for years.

Once they're fed I prepare for work, read the paper, eat a breakfast of raw stuff.

As I go through this routine I reflect. Things are simple. I have 24+ years of recovery. My lovely wife is still dozing in the other room. My job allows me to help others live their dreams. God has blessed me with the resources to do anything I want in life.

What more could one ask?