Sunday, May 31, 2015

Grateful Birthday

Today I tell myself happy birthday because I turned 76 at around 5 AM.

I'm grateful to have arrived at this age. And to some degree I'm a little bit surprised that I survived this long - considering my history.

I don't know any heroin addicts my age. Oh, I know they're out there, but I haven't met them.

And the only reason I'm still around is because I got clean and sober January 14, 1991. That, plus I try to maintain a healthy and low-stress lifestyle.

Today I have gratitude for my life. I have a loving wife. I'm surrounded by kind and caring friends and associates. My children and extended family care about me. I have meaningful work helping other people get sober. And for many years I've enjoyed the promises of the 12-step programs.

What more could I ask?

I guess it would be that God grant me the blessing of being able to continue to do what I'm doing.