Saturday, May 23, 2015

Remembering the Past

One thing I don't forget is who I am or where I came from.

And this came up for me today when a client told me she was "honored to meet me."

Because I've been in recovery for 24+ years I don't let that stuff go to my head. In fact, it made me a little uncomfortable.

I've been taught in the 12 step programs to keep my ego in check. Plus, I believe that forces outside of myself have been responsible for much of my success.

It helps me keep perspective when I remember that I spent much of my first 50 years either incarcerated or using drugs and alcohol. And being a disappointment to those who cared about me.

So looking back today I realize how blessed and lucky I am to have the life that I lead.

While I've worked hard all during my recovery, I'm blessed with opportunity after opportunity.

In addition I have a loving wife. A great group of friends and business associates. A thriving business. My children and grandchildren are healthy.

And if I start thinking I'm important because I've been blessed then I risk losing it all.